Page under construction
A – Install your operating system
RetroStone comes without operating system. I suggest you use Retrorangepi (thanks Retrorangepi developper to have made a RetroStone version!).
1 – Download the Retrorangepi iso on their website. Choose the RetroStone version.
There are two versions, the Slim version, that is lighter because it does not include some optional things such as linux desktop… And the full version that include all the things with a bigger size.
- For full version (not yet available) : http://www.retrorangepi.org/download/
- For Slim version : http://retrorangepi.download/download/index2.html
- Download the RetroStone version
- Unzip the file to get the .img file
I suggest having a look at the Retrorangepi basic instructions here : http://orangepi.club/showthread.php?tid=2571
2 – Flash the .img file to the memory card :
Usually windows user use win32diskimager. However I found Etcher, a nice alternative that is available on both windows, mac and linux.
Step 1 : Install Etcher
- Go to Etcher website: Click Here
- Select your operating system.
- Download and install it (unless you chose the portable version in which case you don’t need to install).
Step 2 : Flash the .img to the memory ard
- Insert the memory card in your computer
- Run Etcher. If using windows run as administrator (right click, run as administrator)
- Click “Select image” and select the .img file you previously downloaded.
- Click “Select drive” and select the memory card.
- Double check you selected the correct drive. The selected drive will be erased !
- Click “Flash!”
Once it completes you are ready to go, insert your SD card into the RetroStone and turn it ON.
B – Add your ROM games
You have two possibilities to transfer your roms. Both use a USB drive.
Manually copy them to the linux desktop.
I think this is the easier way, because you can see the transfer. It’s no more than copy files from one computer to another.
- Go to desktop mode
- plug a USB mouse
- Plug the USB drive with your roms
- Double click the “retropie” folder shortcut. The browser should open. open the sub folder “rom”
- Open your USB drive in a second browser.
- Select your roms and copy paste them in the “retropie/rom” sub folders. GB roms to “retropie/snes/gb” folder and so on.
Reboot, your game should be added.
This methode is nice because you don’t need to connect a USB mouse to Retrostone and go to desktop. The downside is that you have no visibility on the transfer and don’t really know when it’s done. The main indicator you’ll have is the USB drive LED blinking that stops blinking when there’s no activity. But some USB drive don’t have led!
Tutorial here : http://orangepi.club/showthread.php?tid=2567
C – How to connect to TV with HDMI ?
Currently Armbian does not support automatic switch between LCD and HDMI. So you need to switch manually and reboot.
- Go to emulation station main menu.
- In the emulator selection page, go to the emulator “retropie”,
- Select “retrorangepi”,
- then “audio/video selector”
- then “tool”
- then “run av selector”.
- Then select the “1.HDMI”
If you want to switch back to LCD do the same but select “3. RCA video NTSC”
We’r working on an automatic switch that will come soon hopefully! 🙂
D – How to add an emulator?
All emulator are pre-installed, you just need to have at least one game to make it appear in emulation station.
E – How to remove emulator from emulation station?
Not using an emulator and it shows up even if you have no game? That’s because by default on Retrorangepi they put a fake game file called “add rom to play” to have the emulator appeared by default. If you don’t want it to appear anymore your can delete this file in the rom folder of this emulator.
F – How to change button mapping ?
We configured the buttons by default, but if you want to change : Press start in emulation station menu, select configure input, then proceed.
PS when you run out of button to configure but the setup don’t close, you have to hold any button for 3s to skip the button, and do this to the end of the setup.
G – How to mod RetroStone to add buttons and or joystick?
See tutorial here : http://www.8bcraft.com/modding-retrostone/