A – Install your operating system
RetroStone comes without operating system. I suggest you use Retrorangepi (thanks Retrorangepi developper to have made a RetroStone2 version!).
Best is to follow Retrorangepi tutorial : http://orangepi.club/showthread.php?tid=3316
1 – Download the Retrorangepi image on their website. Choose the RetroStone2 version.
Then you need to unzip the file to get the .img file
2 – Flash the .img file to the memory card :
First if you previously already tried to install an image on your SD card, please clean it correctly from any leftover partition. I suggest using Diskpart tool as described here. After using Diskpart, rightclick on the memory card. Select “format”. Select FAT32 and click format. The you can start flashing again.
Usually windows users use win32diskimager. However I found Etcher, a nice alternative that is available on both windows, mac and linux.
Step 1 : Install Etcher
- Go to Etcher website: Click Here
- Select your operating system.
- Download and install it (unless you chose the portable version in which case you don’t need to install).
Step 2 : Flash the .img to the memory card
- Insert the memory card in your computer
- Make sure your memory card is formated in FAT32 (specially if you reformated it)
- Run Etcher. If using windows run as administrator (right click, run as administrator)
- Click “Select image” and select the .img file you previously downloaded.
- Click “Select drive” and select the memory card.
- Double check you selected the correct drive. The selected drive will be erased !
- Click “Flash!”
Once it completes you are ready to go, insert your SD card into the RetroStone and turn it ON.
B – Add your ROM games
Video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkDCHb1Y_yg
French video tutorial : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj011n5sja8
- Go to desktop mode (go to “Retropie” emulator then “retrorangepi” then “armbian desktop”)
- plug a USB mouse
- Plug the USB drive with your roms
- Double click the “retropie” folder shortcut. The browser should open. open the sub folder “rom”
- Open your USB drive in a second browser.
- Select your roms and copy paste them in the “retropie/rom” sub folders. GB roms to “retropie/rom/gb” folder and so on.
Reboot, your game should be added.
More ways to do it : http://forum.8bcraft.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4939
E – How to add an emulator?
All emulator are pre-installed, you just need to have at least one game to make it appear in emulation station.
F – How to remove emulator from emulation station?
Not using an emulator and it shows up even if you have no game? That’s because by default on Retrorangepi they put a fake game file called “add rom to play” to have the emulator appeared by default. If you don’t want it to appear anymore your can delete this file in the rom folder of this emulator.
G – How to change button mapping ?
We configured the buttons by default, but if you want to change : Press start in emulation station menu, select configure input, then proceed.
PS when you run out of button to configure but the setup don’t close, you have to hold A button for 3s to skip the button, and do this to the end of the setup.
For N64 mapping if you want to use the Dpad have a look HERE.